Pages

Our Awesome Travels

Our Awesome Travels
Taken In Quartzsite Arizona Dec 7th 2015

Thursday, January 08, 2015

Left turn at Slidell LA heading north.

Where are we today ?
Sunset Tv Park Cottondale Alabama Just outside of Tuscaloosa AL
      Another great sleep and up at 5am, raring to go. But its 27f with a wind chill of 17 so will wait for the sunrise. Made a pot of coffee in case Billy Bob  showed up for the journey (think not). Got email read, route planned an a nice refreshing walkabout done. Hit the road shortly after 7:30am. making good time, sun shinning, no wind or traffic, just sailed along, listen to the tunes on Sirius. Made that left turn at Slidell and headed north on I-59 and I-20 Tuscaloosa Alabama. Got only 300  miles done today but that's just fine. Pacing myself incase of weather. And because its so cold will pay to stay in a campground with electric .
300 miles
        Mississippi welcome centre is wonderful, free coffee, love the state welcome centres!
they still had the Christmas decoration up
good roads, great weather and no traffic=perfect
Alabama welcome centre, very friendly too
        Only 70 more miles to Tuscaloosa, pulled into Walmart and picked up a wonderful rotisserie chicken. Good deals here only $4.95 and I wil get 3-4 meals from it. Love chicken, almost as good as on my WeberQ. Fueled up at the Pilot ($1.90.0 a gallon) here in town and pulled into the Sunshine Rv park down the road in Cottondale AL. Nothing fancy but clean huge sites and 30 or 50 amp full hookup sites $29.00 a night and close enough to the interstate I can be back on in 2minutes in the morning. No water because of the freezing temps but no matter to me, they have washrooms here.
nice huge sites.
       Got a nice walkabout did some more weather watching and have a route almost planned for tomorrow. If all goes well should be home with my honey sunday afternoon about 4 pm.
        Then I warmed up some of my chicken and a cool fresh salad I made sure hit the spot.
did I tell you love chicken?
      Now the highlight of my day got to chat with Suzie for a while again, so nice to hear her voice. Darn I miss her.
      If read some other blogs should check out this one Sassy's on 'Da Road click HERE. She wrote this wonderful posting of the great visit we had with her at Pilot Knob California before Christmas. Thanks Denise,we were so glad to be able to spend some more time with you and share a meal.
       Now this was a good day, just kinda mellowing out and will be on the road in the morning towards Knoxville Tennessee and I-75 northbound. The weather forecast looks cold but not bad weather so far. I can handle cold (don't much like it) just will not drive in bad weather. 
       Thanks for the visit and hope you had yourself an awesome day too!

       The map below is about the same route almost that we took heading west.
Posted by George, a.k.a. "The Weber "Q" Man of Blogland" according to Rick Doyle. 
 Check out the interactive map below to see where we have been this Winter.

24 comments:

  1. We really liked the Mississippi State Welcome Centers too. They are pretty well equipped for the RVer passing through. Love those rotisserie chickens too. They are cooked and ready to just tear apart and eat. Looks like you're making good time. We're still following along with you so you're not all by yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming along hope you can handle the cold weather along with me. Sorry we gonna miss the Blogger fest I am sure it will be a huge success.

      Delete
  2. I love that welcome center. It is one of the prettiest I have ever seen.
    Please be careful. You are heading towards some very nasty weather. Hope all is well back home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is like you said very nice.
      Thanks guys, keeping an eye on it.

      Delete
  3. We also enjoyed the Mississippi welcome center. Be careful and try to stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you have your long pants and shoes on. Our daughter said she couldn't stand being outside for more than a few minutes today.
    Kathy and I are praying everything will be okay for you and Suzie.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      I don't plan on being outside very much.

      Delete
  5. You are making great time and getting a campground with hookups for heat is a good thing. Will there be any campgrounds open as you get further north?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Following along George each day to see how you doing. You are making good time with your arrival home on Sunday. We are suppose to be out of the deep freeze we are in by then. Snowing tonight (Thurs.) and into the morning here in London. Steady as it goes , take care and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have been home sooner but watching the weather I am hoping sunday will be a good travel day.

      Delete
  7. Hoping you will have good roads the rest of the way. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad for another good day - can't wait until you are home safe so we can breath easy. Have a good day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa, I enjoy the travelling just not crazy about it in this weather, Not bad it the roads are dry and the sun is shinning. I will pretend I am on the beach with you.

      Delete
  9. Continued good roads is our wish for your northbound journey.

    I am a fan of rotisserie chicken...and like you, I could easily get three meals and a pot of soup from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have much time to make a pot of soup this time, right now but there will be more chickens.

      Delete
  10. Slidell, LA is a place I will NEVER forget - that's where I put my rig into a ditch by not making the turn wide enough - coming from where else but a Harley Davidson store !! $10,000 +++ worth of damage !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch!!!! That would sure hurt, gotta watch the deep ditches in the area thats for sure.

      Delete
  11. Looks like you are making good time and I hope you have good luck with the weather as you head north.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Got you on instant notification with twitter now. TWEET, email or call if you should never route help, etc. Anything!!! Jerry and I can do let us know.

    ReplyDelete

We love it when you take the time to drop us a line.