Pages

Our Awesome Travels

Our Awesome Travels
Taken In Quartzsite Arizona Dec 7th 2015

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Back to N'awlins redoing the French Quarter again.

Where are we today ?
         Pretty warm last night windows open for a great sleep, we will take this wonderful weather while it is here. Our plan for today was to wander over to New Orleans and the French Quarter this morning. But the weather forecast said 90% chances of thunderstorms. Well we never believe those weather guessers much anyway. So put our money on the 10% sunshine and guess what we won the lottery!
       Just before 9 am we hopped in the car for the one hour drive, most of it on the 24 mile long bridge/causeway across lake Pontchartrain.
We have done this drive many times
the causeway goes on forever
          Arrived to where we wanted to park and have done this before. Secure parking lot and close to where we want to wander. Next to Jackson Brewery beside the Mississippi River and almost across from Jackson Square, perfect location.
        Now this rainy day was hot and sunny almost perfect weather for wandering the French Quarter.  Enjoying the sights and sounds of this colorful area on a Sunday morning.
only in the sunny south
         Want a carriage ride, narrated sightseeing? Only $39.00 per person for a one hour tour.
not for us
        We walked by the Cafe De Monde and the lineup was HUGE.
We tried the famous Beignets a few years ago, a fried pastry
covered with icing sugar, not something we need to do again
good live bands everywhere
inside the Cafe was packed
         Walked and walked past a lot of places we have seen before and some new ones too.
this picture for Sassy
        Then of course check out the French market, nothing we wanted, needed or could afford but was fun.
Alligator heads anyone?
this picture for my Brother Chris, he is a 
Jimmy Buffet fan
        Now I checked put the Pepper Palace, it has to be the largest collection of hot pepper sauces I have seen anywhere. I looked, I tasted , I sampled,  got a great fix but alas I did not buy. Have a large inventory of hot sauces right now good for a few years.
an amazing selection of hot sauces
interesting BBQ sauces and marinades too
love the narrow streets and interesting buildings here
        Now getting close to noon and we were looking for an interesting place for lunch. And you have thousands of choices here. This place below caught our fancy, side street, down an alley and some real Cajun/Creole food just what we looking for. Check out their website by clicking HERE.
Gumbo Shop
         We were looking for a light lunch and this place sure did the trick. Shared a cup of seafood gumbo that came with a small loaf of warm french bread, Oh so tasty.
        Then we shared a blackened fish Po-boy.  Wow was that a meal and again very reasonable and tasty. The whole meal including one beer, tax and tip was less than $24.00, not to bad for this area.
this was my half of the Po-Boy HUGE
      They also had a nice courtyard here, very inviting, but Suzie wanted to eat inside.
       From here wandered a few more streets, checking out more sites and sound, music , musicians, buskers and all the bars, stores and restaurants with many specials.
       Heading down Bourbon Street was this amazing busker. A Transformer doing his stuff. Check out the  three pictures below.
SUV
Transforming
too cool
This picture for Billy Bob, is this where you staying?
        Apartments and houses, their stairways come right into the middle of the sidewalks. We find it real amazing how all these places were built probably over 100 years ago so close together. But a very interesting pace to visit, in the daylight hours. Don't think we want to be here at night when all the action is.
love the balconies
Jackson Square
the Mississippi, River front
         Now the shocker was when we picked up our car and paid for parking. It been a few years but wow. The rate for 3-5 hours was $25.00 (more than we paid for lunch) we were 3 and 1/2 hours. Guess we should have left earlier (less than 3 hours only $15.00). Sure don't want to park on side streets many blocks away, chances are your car will not be there or all together when you return.
they have these pedicabs everywhere
          Back home around 3 pm and no rain at all today, the weather guesser did a wonderful job of getting it wrong again. Back at the campground we have a couple rain drops, but then a Tornado warning around 5 o'clock after enjoying a couple hours outside reading with this very warm day. So to be safe we secured our awning, stowed our stuff and headed inside. Secure building only a few sites away from us if need be. But by 7pm the warning had passed and all was good. Still no rain.
          After our awesome filling lunch a light supper tonight, simple and easy Turkey wieners, beans and toast, light and easy.
that was all we wanted tonight
       We had another wonderful day and got a nice N'awlins fix again, we really enjoy stopping by this area when we are around, and the weekend are the best, more things happening.
         Thanks again for stopping by and hope you had as good of a day as we did. Gotta love it when the good weather overcomes the odds, we won again!
Posted by George, a.k.a. "The Weber "Q" Man of Blogland" according to Rick Doyle. 
 Check out the interactive map below to see where we have been this Winter.

28 comments:

  1. I love the architecture of NO. We do a lot of looking when visiting that area and very little buying.

    We aren't crazy about Po-boys. I especially don't like all the bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes all the different designs sure are interesting.
      The fish on the Po-boy was great but like you said too much bread.

      Delete
  2. Can you believe we've only been to NOLA one time and after touring the French Market, we also went to the Gumbo Shop for lunch. I wouldn't stand in line at Cafe Du Monde either. Looks like you hit the high spots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is amazing with all the places to choose from that we ate at the same place.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. No problem Denise, reminded me of you when I saw it.

      Delete
  4. The cost of parking there is a scrazy as Vancouver. But still, someday we will visit the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always enjoy a few hours wandering about here, always something to see.

      Delete
  5. Jeanette and I have fond memories of our time in the French Quarter. Cafe' du monde was a regular morning stop. Your blog brought back some fun times for us. Enjoy. The blues clubs are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have checked out a few clubs over the years, always great music.

      Delete
  6. Can you be I have never been to New Orleans? Love the transformer...that is cool!
    We did spend a week in Baton Rouge...loved the plantations there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have toured a few Plantations here as well a few years ago, amazing places.
      New Orleans is fun to explore, window shop and people watch, even try some tasty food.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the tour George, we've never been! I"d have a hard time not eating the day away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many great choices here too. We try to do a different experience every time we go.

      Delete
  8. I think I remember it being 6.50 an hour for parking when we were there last. That's been quite a few years ago. We were there when all the dumpsters were full to the top and the garbage trucks were going down the street emptying them. I can still remember that smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be pretty messy at times, but we still enjoy it.

      Delete
  9. We went to the Café Du Monde in Mandeville. No lines and great Wi-Fi. We also had a shrimp po boy at Pontchartrain Po-Boys in Mandeville. It had more shrimp than you could eat, and also onion rings to die for. The order taker suggested I get a small order and it was plenty. While you are close by, you might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went to that same Po-Boy place in Mandeville quite a few years ago. We carry our own wifi with us now so no need for the free ones anymore.

      Delete
  10. Even thought we've been there several times, it's still fun to go back. However, not so sure I'd try it during their festivals. It's way too crowded then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 years ago we were on the north shore during Maris Gras, so did not even think about going into New Orleans.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the memories George, we loved NOLA! You will have to get over to Abbeville for a meal at Suire's Grocery! Now that is REAL Cajun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are going to Abbeville on Wenesday for 3 days will check them out.

      Delete
  12. What? No voodoo doll souvenirs from the French Market? You could have used one to give that Murphy guy that causes all us RVers so much trouble a taste of his own medicine... ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  13. don't forget to visit Albita Brewery while there for their free beer tour... maybe make up for the cost of parking...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They only do tours there Thursday, Friday and Saturday, we gonna miss the brewery this time. Mind we have been there many times before.

      Delete
  14. Thanks for the tour, George. That was some big-looking Po-Boy sandwich you had. Looked good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was huge and very tasty. Could not even finish half.

      Delete

We love it when you take the time to drop us a line.